So in like, 3 months and 24 days (which I didn’t know til I blogged about how much time it was gonna be until our Wedding Date), I get to marry this hunk.
Now, I’ve talked openly and candidly about my finances here, but it was important to do that with my husband-to-be, and that meant being really open about my student loan debit and my spending patterns.
And I was really really embarrassed to sit down and talk with him about it.
Austin has a really, really good handle on his finances, and makes a ton more money than I do, and I can learn so much from him (and I have in our years together). I make a social worker’s salary, and have a decent amount of debt from graduate school mostly, that I’m working on. But we’ve gotten together every day for the last few days and created a budget, and gone over every single piece of paperwork involving my student loans, and for once, I don’t feel like I’m in a horrifying panic over the state of my loans.
Like I said last week, paying down more of my loans, and still having a little something left over to save, means some actual focus and work, but thankfully, I have a partner who knows what the heck it takes, and is helping me focus on the big picture. And instead of being mortified and embarrassed, once we got down to the real work, I felt comforted that I was able to share my “burden” with someone else.
In other wedding news?
- Save-the-dates are OUT! I will do a big reveal next week, so I can make sure folks get theirs before I put all their business out there.
- Wedding bands are purchased! Just waiting for them to come out,
- Invites? The ball is rolling, but I have no clue what the wording on the invites is gonna say.
- My mom screamed at me for not inviting one of her friends. I am not a cold, heartless person, but she literally told me that she didn’t want to invite this person because they hadn’t been picking up her phone calls as of late. Well she texted me last night to ask if I invited this person, and then yelled at me when I said no. I WAS JUST FOLLOWING ORDERS! Ugh.
- Catering is thisclose to being finalized.
- We’d already booked the photogs a while back, but in the course of some emails we’d been sending back and forth, I kinda let them know I needed them for our (very late) engagement photos and bridal portraits for you guys to put gifts under when I get married.
To do in this week?
- The biggie is the wedding website HAS to get some progress on it. Maybe I’ll work on that this weekend.
I am SO happy that things are getting done.
How do you keep up with your monthly budget/big ticket expenses?