I celebrated Elon University’s Homecoming this past weekend. Elon is many things. It’s beautiful, stunningly beautiful. The student body is smart, attractive, and critical thinkers. And…we know how to throw a party. I’m not really going to get into what all I ate/drank yesterday, but suffice it to say, it was off my normal nutritional path.
So, with the holidays approaching, it may happen. To me, to you, we may overindulge in drinks, food, and feel terrible about ourselves for the rest of the day. So what do we do when we overindulge? With the help of our friend, hot mom, Maria Kang, I’ve compiled a few tips to help you beat after-overdoing it despair. Not that I’d know…
- If you can, make a plan so that you don’t actually overdo it. Two Thanksgivings ago, my sister made an amazing pumpkin pie. I ate SO much pie, that I felt sick for like two days after. If I’d approached that meal a little more reasonably (like only had a teeny bit of everything), I probably would have saved myself a ton of grief. Plan. Plan. Plan.
So you’ve actually overdone it, and you feel like you need to be rolled to you car…
- Don’t do this. “Well the day’s already gone to hell, might as well eat everything in sight.” Don’t starve yourself either, though. Take it one meal at a time. And your next meal? It might not be a bad idea to eat something nice and light, so at the very least, you don’t feel like crap the next day. A salad, some veggies, just something that won’t make you feel like you’ve compounded your issues.
- Drink water. For me, it feels like the water flushes out some of the nasty you’ve had. If you’ve had a meal high in sodium or fat in particular, this tip works wonders.
- Work out! This probably isn’t the time for your 20-miler. And it SHOULD NOT, should not, be viewed as a punishment for yourself. Just go for a brisk walk to kind of get the gross moving.
- Do better. Just move on. You had a good time, and got a little rowdy with libations. Next time, plan for better, and try to recommit to healthy foods for the rest of the week.
Do you guys have any tips you like to follow to get back on track after a particularly gnarly meal?