Time for a mushy-gushy pre-Valentine’s Day post.
I could tell something was different about him, because from the beginning of our relationship, I really really protected it. I didn’t talk about it a lot to others and I didn’t feel the need to gush to cover up some sort of shortcoming he might have had. Trust me, I’ve been there. He took me on real dates, not just to Applebees. He insisted he pay, and I always felt safe with him. And now, three, almost four years later, here’s why we work.
- We’re really different. But our insides match. We’re obviously interracial. I am all over the place, wildly creative, and he is analytical, and he thinks things through before he does them. I decide to do things, and do them. But inside, there are a few things that are really important to us. Health/wellness. Animals. And treating others the way they deserve to be treated. These are our cardinal rules.
- When we fight, we fight fair. You’re a rotten dirty liar if you want to claim that you have a relationship with someone and that you never fight. And we do. But when we do, we fight fair. We don’t hit or scream or call names. And if we slip and do one of these, we put it in reverse, and asses where we need to apologize and do better next time. Besides the hitting, we’re not animals. We don’t do that.
- He supports me. I say I want to run a marathon, and he watches me cross the finish line. When I started this blog, he was all about it. When we first started dating, and I went to audition for X-Factor, he gave me his iPod FM transmitter thing for my car, and kissed me goodbye. I made it that year, and part of it was the support. Similarly, whatever he needs or wants to do? I want to give it to him. If he wants to start a business? A new website? Wants to take apart the washing machine? I don’t get it, but I will be behind him.
- I feel safe with him. When I used to run into trouble, I would call my Dad. Now I’m a grown-up, and getting married, and I feel 100% cool calling him for help. He can change a tire, one drove to DC to pick me up when I was stranded in the middle of the night, and dusted the snow off my car and my steps today. It means so much.
- We laugh together. A bunch. I could go on for days about our inside jokes but that’s why they inside, playa!
- He keeps me grounded. I am a weirdo. A beautiful, tall weirdo. And sometimes, my ideas get a little crazy. I adopted a dog out of the blue a few weeks ago. I still did it, but he asked me all the important questions. And I keep him fun! Life wouldn’t be any fun without my randomness.
- He went out in a snowstorm to get me coffee today. Can I please tell you that I didn’t ask him to do this, it was a surprise. But it was still a nice surprise and it made me feel like he pays attention to what I like 🙂 .
This list is by no means exhaustive, but it’s what comes to my mind when I look at our differences and still can see why we work. Big ups to Life of Bon for the sweet idea on the day before V-Day!
And if you love it, grab that image ^^ and link up! Why do you and your significant other work?