I had an amazing weekend, which I’m guessing you can gather from all the tweets and the FB posts that were all “omgomgomgomg I love it here!”. I’m trying to figure out how many times I can tell you guys I’m having and epic weekend before you start to suspect that I do nothing but traipse around with no other purpose but to write about it, but rest assured, I have a real life too! My weekends have just been insane this past month or so.
So anyways, I headed to DC this past weekend, the best city in the land, to run the Rock ‘n’ Roll USA half marathon, and the weekend literally gets a 10 out of 10 from me. I’ll totally tell you why.
Then I saw this, which I immediately decided would be put to good use before I raced the following day. And use it I did. Following a quick pre-race dinner of a sandwich and some greens, I immediately set about to fill up this tub, take a quick swig from my bottle of Skinny Girl California White, and soaked in the tub with a Demi Lovato book (don’t judge) until i was too sweaty to continue. Baths usually go that way for me, I get too sweaty to enjoy it after awhile and I have to get out!
Westin has this sick program, where, for $5 a day, you can skip packing you workout clothes (which always take up a good bit of room), and sort of rent/borrow some New Balance apparel. I believe they also guarantee that you will leap about like the model does in all-white clothing. Added bonus!
More tub! You didn’t think I was going to leave the hotel without trying on the robe, right? It was comfy, and there’s my mug without makeup. What do ya think? And with all of that, I hit the sack for about 3 or 4 hours, and got prepped for the race, the Rock ‘n’ Roll USA! (And don’t worry, I will go over all the good, the bad (none), and the awesome in a minute, just enjoy the photos for a second!)
What I wore! The trusty Brooks Glycerin, my printed Nike tights, a muscle tee from Fabletics, and a little Fabletics Yoga hoodie. As for socks, I went with some Smart Wool to keep my toots warm.
And let’s skip ahead! Mama finished 13.1 and is still smiling, even after a bout with some Norovirus or something funky this week.
Me and the beautiful Carrie Keagan hung out before and post race. Side note, her parents are friggin adorable, and by the time we left, we were referring to each other as Mom, Dad, and their long lost dark-skinned daughter.
And I finished off the weekend with a shower and friends!
So now that you got to see my wonderful pics, let’s talk about Rock ‘n’ Roll USA!
- The start waves. They nailed this one, better than anyone has ever nailed it before. The waves were timed so well that although a ton of people were running, there was never a point where I felt like the situation was too crowded to move in.
- The transportation. If you weren’t familiar with the city, no matter because we were provided detailed maps in tons of ways to get to the start easily by the metro. So seamless.
- The course. The course was sick. Aside from an ungodly hill at mile 6 (that is all people were talking about after the race), the course was beautiful.
- Seriously? I have 0 complaints.
- VIP Access. Seriously, if you have never sprung for the VIP access, do it! Because of my VIP access I had an early breakfast of oatmeal and fruit, I had a ride down the the start line, I had a charging station for my cell phone, I had a warm place to hang out pre-race, a separate bag check, and access to the heated VIP tent after the race, where there was a ton of food, liquids, and BEER after the race!
- The concert. So rad. The Head and the Heart. So rad.
- The weather. Could not have asked for a more beautiful day. I wore the yoga sweatshirt for maybe the first three miles, and then peeled it off and was able to get by in a muscle tee the rest of the race.
‘Rock ‘n’ Roll USA was a 10/10. I have run many a race, good and bad, and this one is up there as the best – the best organized, the best weather, the best course, and the best service of any race I’ve done, and from what I heard from my folks, Rock ‘n’ Roll has been like this in general. Sign up sign up sign up!
[Disclaimer – I was given a race entry + VIP access, but I would tell you if it sucked or not. Seriously, this race is a two thumbs up!]