Yesterday, as I was still sitting in DC, I found myself, once again at Pound the Hill, to finish up some work I’d kind of let go the wayside while I was running around and having a great time.
Now, if you’ll recall, Pound the Hill was home to the Nutella Latte that I’d enjoyed so well.
And of course, as I was sitting next to these two women, I was 1000% eavesdropping on their conversation, and my mouth was dropping at the things they were saying. I actually took notes on the conversation I was so shocked.
So green shirt lady was talking about her live-in boyfriend. And here’s what she had to say.
- She had been crying and yelling at him for the better part of the last week.
- He has been acting really really weird in front of her friends.
- I don’t think he pays rent – he gave her money upfront for his stay there (at her home), but that’s about it.
- She changed her eating habits for him, as in went from vegan ->non vegan for him, not for herself.
- He does not have a “real” job.
- She hates his friends.
- She wants kids, he does not.
She explained the aforementioned behavior by this.
- Maybe he would “change” once he got a real job and got some confidence, because she could tell that when he was confident, he would be better.
- He worked for PETA and because he was around so many PETA people, he did not know how to act around her friends.
- That even though he didn’t want kids, a friend suggested that she should have an “oops”.
- That he was an only child, and maybe this was why he did not know how to act.
- And in general, she explained away all the behavior that pointed to the fact that he was not interested in her.
All the while, he friend listened, and just made affirming noises.
I sat there in horror, wanting so badly to turn to green shirt and to tell her to run far away, and never look back at the guy who was living for free in her home, but I didn’t , because the woman didn’t know me from Adam and was obviously not asking for my advice.
But why, why why, do women do this?
What would you tell this woman?