Um. So 2014 is over? When did that happen?
So it was a big year, for things both good and bad. And here, in no particular order, are some of the biggies from 2014.
14. Coco. Coco the poodle came to us from a friend of a friend. She’s an older dog, so she was probably not going to get adopted, so without much thought, we took her in. It ended up being a pretty sweet deal, because she’s a sweetheart, and a joy to have. She came to the beach with us, and visited with my mom when she was sick.
13. We went to Fripp! This was one of my favorite memories. My friend, Kelly, invited me and Austin for a weekend. We drove down to SC, and had a blast of a weekend. One of my favorite memories of the year!
12. Snow, snow, snow! Remember snowpocalyspe that rendered Atlanta crippled? About two weeks after, Raleigh got a similar storm that left Austin stranded for hours after work. Melanie, another friend got into a little accident. And my current boss’s boss had to run home in the storm.
11. I made this, than caught a stomach flu. I’m pretty much a straight-up vegetarian, not a pescatarian now.
10. I modeled a little bit here and there. I did some shoots for Headbands of Hope, did two shows for a local boutique. I’m hoping to do some more jobs here and there to help pay off my student loans!
9. We bought a house! Which is kind of a relief, we had a few weird experiences renting, the latest of which was when a man tried to break into the girl’s apartment downstairs in the middle of the night to do her some sort of harm for not calling him back.
8. A close friend lost her mother to cancer. The experience was jarring, to say the least, and a really painful reminder that our parents are getting older.
7. We acquired a foster beagle. After Mel’s mother passed, an older female beagle was left behind. We are hanging onto her until she finds a new furever home. If you’re interested….
6. I saw Stevie Wonder live! And in good seats! Stevie Wonder announced tour dates in September of 2014, and I went on the hunt to find affordable tickets, which was no easy feat. Seriously, the scalpers had bought up all the tickets, and I was lucky enough to find tickets that only cost me about $300. We had seats on the floor, and I feel like I can officially cross seeing one of the greats off my bucket list!
5. I ran….far…in Vegas! My first trip to Vegas was not some drunken slob-fest – rather – I ran an Ultra relay in Vegas with Bondi Band.
4. I literally got my dream job. I may have told this story here before, but if at first you don’t succeed, try, try, mother effin’ try again. I’d had my eye on this job as a Group Fitness Director for over 3 years. The first time I interviewed for the job, I made it through a few rounds, and didn’t get the job. I was devastated (and remember, this is all taking place back in 2012 when my ego was already wounded from learning that jobs aren’t super plentiful), and I stayed in bed for days. A few years, and some more professional development later, the job was open, and it sort of fell into my lap. It worked out probably about a month before we got married.
3. My sister got engaged, then married! Deb and Luigi had been dating sort of on and off, and they decided, in the late spring, that they were going to make it official. They got engaged, then married pretty quickly in South Carolina. They celebrated with a reception just a few weeks ago.
2. My best friend suddenly lost his brother. Probably one of the worst phone calls I’ve ever gotten in my life was this phone call. Austin and I made the quick decision that the weekend of the funeral, we would drive to Philly and back to pay our respect’s to Michael’s brother. I’ve never seen my best friend in pain like that, so it was hard, and I’m trying with everything in me to support him as best as I can through this really really trying time.
1. We got married on August 23, 2014. It was the most incredible day ever, and when I woke up on August 24th, I wanted to keep my eyes closed and bottle the feelings that the wedding gave me. It was elation, happiness, and the joy of seeing old friends meet new friends all wrapped into one. If you could shoot that feeling directly into an IV and take it, I totally would 🙂