It’s been almost a week since my 28th birthday, and per usual, it’s been one of the craziest weeks ever. We went to a Friendsgiving, wrapped up the Annual Campaign after raising $1.4 million dollars ($1.4 million?!), and generally, didn’t get a minute to ourselves. I mean seriously, I fell asleep on the couch twice this week and my hubby had to come get me and tell me to come to bed.
So in this week, and in thinking about what 28 means, and what I want to accomplish in this year. And after having sushi with a friend who told me he likes to set 4 goals each birthday, I decided to do the same, and hold myself accountable for each of those goals.
So here goes, 4 goals for my 28th year of living.
- Get my personal trainer certification. It’s something I feel will make me a better teacher. I don’t necessarily want clients, lord knows that there may not be enough hours in the day for that, but anything to make me a better and stronger, I think is worth going for.
- Begin some real work on a book. It is my dream to be the black Bethanny Frankel – to write a book on black women, and their health and fitness. Maybe my first book won’t be that, maybe it will be a guide to dating, or something fun and syrupy, but I know I’m destined for it. I don’t know why, but I just know. Plus I need that advance so I can pay down my student loans. (Just kidding! Kinda…)
- Utilize my time more efficiently. This is something I’ve really been striving for, but I’m not great at. That’s sort of an abstract concept, but that means squeezing the most out of every moment I can and limiting distractions. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a lazy Sunday, but I don’t want every night when I come home from work to be a flop down on the couch kind of night. I don’t have time.
- Do something creative every day. I do my best when I’m given the chance to do something creative every day. Whether that means going to Home Depot and picking out colors, picking out linens, painting, writing (even if it’s just 100 words), or READING, I will be doing this each day.
- Okay, and I had to sneak a 5th one in here. I would like to start saving more. I’m starting with an EXTREMELY modest goal of $500, which means I only have to put $41.67 in a separate account each month. But on top of this, I’d like to put all my checks from Aradia into this account. The amount varies depending on how much I work, but the reason why this is hard/important is that I usually like to take that Aradia check and do fun things with it. But it’s time to let that go. I’m really competitive, even if it’s just with myself, so I’d really like to push. Additionally, I’m toying with the idea of “tipping” myself for every workout I do. I’m not sure how much, but I’m playing with the idea of tipping myself 10% in dollar amount for the minutes I’ve worked out. So $3.00 for a 30 minute work out, $6.00 for an hour workout and so on.
What’s ONE of your goals for the next year?